by Stephanie Williams
Murray Street was once home to the Hobart Town Gaol, near the corner of Macquarie Street. Both convicts and free settlers were held there from 1816 until 1864. Image courtesy: State Library of Victoria
Looking down Murray Street towards Webb’s Hotel in the distance which later became Hadley’s Orient Hotel. Image courtesy: Allport Library and Museum of Fine Arts, Tasmanian Archive and Heritage Office
Murray Street, Hobart in 1881 with a row of horse drawn carriages outside the Hobart Savings Bank, Masonic Temple and the Derwent and Tamar Buildings with Webb’s Hotel in the distance.
Image courtesy: University of Tasmania Library Special and Rare Materials Collection.
Here’s Murray Street in 1857. Check out the sparse West Hobart in the background.